Thursday, May 21, 2009

Star Trek

I went to see Star Trek yesterday. Admittedly, I have been a fan since The Next Generation and was not too familiar with the original Star Trek. It was an excellent movie! If you have not seen it yet, you should. I loved every bit of it. Honestly, it would be a great movie to spark an interest in the series. It certainly rekindled mine. Thinking back on it, I realized that a lot of my geekier aspects, from a love of sci-fi to a love of gaming comes from, oddly enough, my mother. I remember that it was my mother who got me into gaming from the original NES system. We got the system for Christmas the year that it came out and my mother would play just as much if not more than I would. I remember wanting to play in order to be just as good as she was at it. I never could beat her at Mario and to this day, many moons later, I have never met anyone who could play Super Mario Bros the way that she could. Mom also got me involved with a lot of Sci-Fi from Star Trek to Highlander and believe it or not, Nickelodeon's Are You Afraid of the Dark. Those two shows, turns out, bloosomed into a full fledged love for Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Stargate, the X-Files, Twin Peaks, and a whole host of other shows that can be found primarily on The Sci-Fi Channel, Discovery, and the History Channel. It was my dad who was the EMT/fireman, but it was my mother who would stay up late at night with me on the weekends and watch the surgeries on the Discovery Channel. OK - so I realized that this post was originally supposed to be about the movie that I saw and it totally turned into a post about my mother. I think that is ok because I totally <3 her. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment