Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Google Cr-48 laptop

It has been a few weeks now since I received my Cr-48 laptop and I must say that I am loving it! It is lightweight and works well as an addition to my other school supplies. Battery life on it is amazing. I usually do not have to charge it but every other day or so. It is nice having everything in one place. I use Google docs to take my notes for school and instead of making sure that I have everything saved onto a flash drive in order to transfer notes between the laptop and desktop computer. It connects to any WiFi network easily as well as the free Verizon 3g that is also included. Total time from shut down to reboot is about a minute total which is super sweet.
The look and feel of the laptop is also nice. It has a very minimalist look to it in that is is just a simple black matte rubber finish with no frills. I did happen to get mine after Google started including stickers to the package. The trackpad or mouse on it is large and easy to use as a navigation tool. The only negative thing that I can say about the mouse is that I have a tendency to accidentally hit it when I am typing and that can get rather annoying.
Root was incredibly easy to achieve on the device. It entails removing the battery, taking off a sticker, flipping a switch and replacing the battery.
On the other side of the coin, there are some things that I think could be done better. Flash seems to be rather buggy and slow. However, after getting root on the laptop flash does seem to work a little better.
One last issue that I have with the laptop is that the bluetooth seems to be uber-beta right now. I have attempted to connect my phone to it via bluetooth with no success. The process to even get the device to scan for other devices is complicated and requires you to do so in terminal. I was able to successfully get the laptop to scan and even see other devices that were discoverable. The problem that I ran into was when I attempted to connect. I tried connecting without auth and with auth.  I posed the question to both Twitter and Facebook and everyone that I talked with had the same experience. I did get a response back from one person on Twitter who was able to get bluetooth working but only after he had installed Linux onto the laptop.
Well, that is about it for now. I will try to update more about the laptop once I have spent a little more time with it. If you have any questions, please feel free to comment and I will be happy to respond.
*smooches*
Ravn

No comments:

Post a Comment